Last weekend was the Belle Isle IndyCar Dual race in Detroit. Photographer Steve Lagreca attended the event on behalf of Autosavant and has shared a number of photos with us.
The races were the first ever IndyCar “dual” race – which is basically a weekend doubleheader, with separate races on Saturday and Sunday, with a different winner each day. The photos are from both days’ races; Steve has compiled some bullet point facts from each day of racing. Enjoy the facts and the amazing photos!
- Belle Isle: 2.346-mile, 13-turn, street circuit
- and other improvements to fix the pot holes that stopped last year’s race two hours.
- 1st Place: Mike Conway (#18), Dale Coyne Racing, from Bromley, England
- 2nd Place: Ryan Hunter-Reay (#1), Andretti Autosport, from Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- 3rd Place: Justin Wilson (#19), Dale Coyne Racing, from Sheffield, England
- Dario Franchitti (#10), Chip Ganassi Racing, captures pole, finishes sixth.
- Tony Kanaan (#11), KV Racing Technology, last week’s Indianapolis 500 winner, finished 13th.
- Scott Dixon (#9), last year’s (2012) Detroit Grand Prix winner, finished fourth.
- Helio Castroneves (#3), Hitachi Team Penske, finished 5th and reclaimed the championship lead.
- Marco Andretti (#25), Andretti Autosport, the points leader entering the race, placed 20th.
- Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit I, IZOD IndyCar Series, 70-laps
- Avg Speed: 90.753 mph,
- Margin of Victory: 12.9707 sec
- Fastest Lap: 108.678 mph (77.8447 sec) by Mike Conway (#18)
Sunday, Dual II
- 1st Place: Simon Pagenaud,
- 2nd Place: James Jakes,
- 3rd Place: Mike Conway (winner of Dual in Detroit I)
- E.J. Viso captures pole, finishes 17th.
- Castroneves and Andretti are tied for the championship lead.
- Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit II, IZOD IndyCar Series, 70-laps
- Avg Speed: 84.906
- Margin of Victory: 5.6274
- Fastest Lap: 109.250 mph
Photos were taken by Steve Lagreca. You can find more of Steve’s work on the .